The video of the Richardson ISD Board of Trustees Forum held on Thursday, April 24, 2014 is available below. To start, click on the arrow in the center of the screen.
To view the video in full-screen mode, click the computer screen icon in the lower right-hand corner of the video.
The content of this video belongs to the League of Women Voters of Richardson. Any use of this video requires the approval of the League with the caveat that it must be broadcast in its entirety.
No part of this video may be used by the candidates or their campaigns.
Each candidate was given 1½ minutes to answer the question asked at the forum. At the end of the question-and-answer period, each candidate was given 2 minutes for a closing statement.
Click on the links below to hear the candidates' answers to the questions asked at the forum. [NOTE: These links will take you to YouTube, not to the embedded video above.]
Question 1: Where do you live? Where do or did your children go to school?
Question 2: Advocacy is a big part of serving as a board trustee. How have you engaged in education-related advocacy in the past? What do you feel are the key legislative issues?
Question 3: Should the district allocate more funding and/or time to training teachers in the effective use of technology in the classroom? Why or why not?
Question 4: Give us your interpretation of the Board of Trustees, its members, and how it functions. What is your perception of the roll of the Board in running/leading the RISD for the next three years?
Question 5: Yes or No:
- RISD is one of hundreds of Texas school districts currently suing the state over state funding of public schools. Do you support the school district's lawsuit?
- Moving school board and school bond elections to the November general election cycle would increase community participation in the school district. Do you support moving school elections to the fall?
- Do you favor principals or other staff being armed with guns?
- What is your opinion of Home-Rule Charter Districts (as being proposed for DISD)? Are you in support?
- Do you think creationism should be taught in science classes?
- It has been rumored that several of you are always late to events. Do you have a problem getting to events on time?
- Do you think special education takes away from our general education?
- Are you in favor of home schooling?
- Are you in favor of charter schools?
- Are you in favor of school vouchers?
Question 6: How are you going to deal with the growing student and teacher burnout from the constant emphasis on testing?
Question 7: Have you seen the results of the recent dyslexia audit and, if so, how would you address the recommendations?
Question 8: Parents are concerned that they are not allowed visitation in Special Ed, General Ed, and PPCD classrooms and that RISD has inconsistent practices across the district. The District is proposing 15 additional educational diagnosticians to address this. Are you in support?
Question 9: Why is being on the board worth your time? How will your investment impact the RISD this coming term and in 10 years from now? What is your vision in addition to and/or after Vision 2020?